Where to travel, some do’s and don’ts

The ultimate reason to rent a 4WD campervan is to explore the outback on unsealed roads, off the beaten track. However, you must remember that you are not permitted to drive your vehicle off gazetted roads – that means not listed on a map or maintained by council.

These areas are off limits, unless…

No driving off gazetted roads entails no off-road driving by car, nor on bush tracks or beaches, unless you:

  • are driving for a short distance (less than 1 km) directly to a public accessible camp site.
  • have received prior written permission of WA Experts.

No go areas

These are roads in Australia that you are strictly not permitted to travel:

  • The Canning Stock Route (WA)
  • The last 2 kms of the Lennard River Gorge Road (WA)
  • The abandoned section of the Gunbarrel Highway (WA, NT)
  • Boggy Hole in Finke Gorge National Park (NT)
  • Lost City in Litchfield Park (NT)
  • Old South Road from Maryvale to Finke (NT)

In doubt? Please give us a ring. We’ll gladly give you some sound advice.

Permission required for remote areas or islands

Some roads may become impassable during extreme weather conditions or any other safety concern. Therefore, for some remote areas or islands, access is only permitted by a 4WD campervan with prior permission of WA Experts. We reserve the right at our sole discretion to restrict your trip to certain areas.  This also applies for access to an island when your journey includes a ferry crossing.

For your own safety, you will be updated on the current road conditions at the moment you start your journey. Permission will only be considered if applied for at time of booking and can be withdrawn at the time of pickup. For some areas you will need a permit, we are happy to assist you in arranging these.

Only with prior permission may you travel to:

  • Any island
  • Kangaroo Island (SA)
  • The station access road to Red Bluff on Quobba station (WA)
  • The Holland Track (WA)
  • Bungle Bungles (WA)
  • Cape Leveque (WA)
  • Kalumburu Road (WA)
  • Warburton Road (WA)
  • Oodnadatta Track (SA)
  • Birdsville Track (SA)
  • Simpson Desert (NT, SA)
  • Tanami Track (NT, WA)
  • Gibb River Road (NT, WA)
  • Plenty Highway (NT)
  • Finke Road (NT)
  • Central Arnhem Road (NT)
  • Arnhem Land in general (NT)
  • Gunbarrel Highway (WA, NT)
  • Any other remote areas

Fire season

Should you travel WA during bush fire season, no need to panic. Prepare yourself well and stay informed about which directions to go. Read all about the current situation in your area on the website of the Department of Fire and Emergency Services. Or give us a call.

International Driver’s Licence

In Australia, laws and driving regulations differ from state to state. Some states require you to carry an International Licence with your current foreign licence. Other states request you carry your current foreign driver’s licence together with a formal translation of your licence into English. For more details please visit this official Australian Government website.